The Trees are Coming Back
I lean out my window and I am astonished to see how many California Oaks now line my once bare and practical street. There is a squirrel in the one outside my kitchen, two in fact. I see them deep in a lush cave of leaves, grooming themselves and pleased with life. I used to feed them peanuts on my bedroom balcony, assuaging guilt at the loss of wild habitats all around me, but I have not done so for a long time. There is no need, for acorns litter the ground now, and berry bushes and sunflowers crowd the lush grasses in the field across the street, now allowed by city law to go grow freely between the houses. There are more trees all across the state now, almost to the level they were in the California the Spaniards explored 250 years ago. The newspaper says the project has been so successful here and on the east coast, it is to be expanded. The young people are planting them. Hundreds of high schools have signed up to participate, many even making it a condition of graduation. Before...
Comments
Post a Comment